Wednesday 20 July 2011

Where are you doing this?

Most of the people who have posted segmentata instructions online seem to be the proud owners of a palatial (or at least well-equipped) workshop.  Alas, I am not yet so fortunate.

I live in an apartment.

No, really.  Yes, I'm serious about doing this project.  No, my neighbours aren't conveniently deaf, either.

I am already in the prototyping phase - I am testing out patterns and designs using 24-gauge steel (cold-rolled, of course).  This is pretty convenient stuff since you can easily cut it with hand-held shears, and you can bend it in your hands.  The edges aren't too bad and you can file them a bit if needed.  Since I'm just testing out designs at this phase, I am also using machine screws and nuts instead of rivets.  What all this means is that (in theory) I can make a full prototype segmentata without lifting a hammer or spinning up a bench grinder.  And so can you!

Of course, the time will come when I want to switch to a heavier gauge of metal to begin my work in earnest.  And eventually I'll need to rivet and bend those final pieces.  But those are really the very last steps of construction, and for a case of beer or something, you can probably convince a friend to lend you their garage for the weekend.

But the one thing you can't do without is TOOLS.


More on those next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment