Thursday 21 July 2011

Up Next: Hinges!

Last night I finally got my hands on some brass.  Tonight I'll be trying to make my first hinge.

Now that I'm working with brass, I'll have to add a few more tools to the pile.


  • Set of Needle Files - Half round, full round, wedge, triangular, square, diamond... any profile you can think of, it's here.  These came from my grandfather and I look forward to using them again.
  • Jeweller's Pliers (more specifically, round nose pliers) -- this is for holding or bending wire without leaving a mark on it - the jaws are completely round, like a pair of chopsticks.
  • Wire Cutters - for rod stock
  • Medium files - half round, round, and flat. 
  • Sparker
  • Propane Torch - (I will be doing my annealing out on the balcony)
  • Hacksaw with floating blade
  • (Not Pictured) A metal or glass can for quenching hot brass.  Anything watertight and not plastic will do.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment