Here is what I started with. As I get a bit further along in the prototyping and final construction stages I'll add a few more (ie hammers), but this is sort of the bare minimum to get things rolling.
From left to right :
- Leather punch
- Machine Screws & Nuts (4-40x 3/8") - these are my "temporary rivets"
- Gloves (Optional, I'm not using them much at this stage)
- Center Punch - useful for marking hole locations
- Soapstone - (the thing that looks like a piece of chalk) Use this to draw lines and scribble numbers on sheet metal
- Metal Punch Kit - You can substitute a drill, but this is a lot quieter and doesn't require a backstop.
- Right-Hand Metal Shears - Buying the cheapest ones you can find is probably a bad idea.
- Knife - If you don't know how to put a decent edge on one, learn now.
- Medium Files - Half Round/Triangle/Round - for hinges
- Hacksaw - for hinges
- Large File - for smoothing edges left by the metal shears
- Steel Ruler - I don't recommend using a cork-backed one, but I guess you could if you wanted.