Friday 22 July 2011

Hinge #2 - Much Better, but not quite there yet

Proof that I learn from my mistakes:


I completed hinge #2 in about 1.5 hours.  That should drop even more once I find the right size of cold chisel to take off the unwanted tube sections.  On the other hand, I haven't cut the plates into an ornate shape yet -- that will obviously add time back in.  All in all, though, I can already see how I could "assembly-line" the process to make a whole batch of hinges at once and save a lot of time that way as well.

Above: You can also see that I tried one of the polishing attachments for my dremel on the top-left plate. I'm not impressed -- waaaaaay too much effort for the result.  I will have to try pickling and/or light sanding next.

One thing I don't like about hinge #2 is that I didn't get the barrel quite as tight as the first one.  I think I need to add a third annealing step in the middle of the hammering process.  Like this:
  1. Anneal
  2. Hand Fold
  3. Plier Fold
  4. Anneal
  5. Hammer
  6. Anneal
  7. Hammer
  8. Cut
  9. ...etc.
One other thing I learned -- when using a dremel on metal, both hands should be wearing gloves.  When I was shearing off a tube section it fell on the hand holding the dremel and gave me a pretty good burn.  Ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment