Thursday 21 July 2011

The smelly fruits of impatience



I went ahead and measured out a Newstead shoulder section, although I took some shortcuts along the way.  I broadened each lame a bit, and I made the upper shoulder as a single plate (since I didn't have any brass for hinges at that time).  I rushed through a number of steps in my excitement to see real metal plates draped over my shoulder.  There are a number of problems with the result, but fortunately I learned a few things along the way.

  • Resist the urge to tweak measurements just to simplify your cutting.
  • Do not bend the lames before planning the leathering and making the holes.
  • Make sure you measure twice and cut once for the leather!  As you can see above, I have two straps which are too short to reach the breastplate.
  • Adjust the amount of overlap in the lames so that the result fits on a human shoulder!


 I will be (at least) re-leathering this one to adjust overlap up to a more manageable size.  I may also cut some of the lames down a bit.  Or even cannibalize parts for a different shoulder...  we'll see.


 PS. The more observant will note that I am cheating by using belts to make my strappings.  This might not be acceptable in any of the reenactment groups I've read about, but it's certainly more convenient -- especially during the prototype phase.  I picked up a few belts for less than $5 each at a second hand store.  Just make sure you pick ones which are a single piece of plain leather.

No comments:

Post a Comment