Tuesday 26 July 2011

(Belated Weekend Part 1) Miscellaneous

As previously mentioned, I visited a friend's place on the weekend and did some work there last weekend. There are a lot of pictures so I'm breaking this up into several parts.  First, I'll deal with some miscellaneous stuff.

When I packed up all my gear and materials, I was surprised at how easily it could be collapsed into a transportable package.
  1. Brass Sheet (kickplate from a door?)
  2. The remainder of my uncut steel, about 2' x 2'.
  3. All hand tools and patterns fit into this plastic tray.
  4. Dremel Case and sketchbook
  5. Brass Rod Stock (1/8" & 3/16")





JB (my friend) has a very nice workshop, and a number of nice things that I don't - like a bench grinder.  When I was talking to him about my issues with hinges (specifically about nipping off the unwanted tube sections), he had a bright idea.  Since I was having trouble finding a cold chisel small enough, he pointed out that we could make one.

We started with this double-ended screwdriver bit, since it was some form of tempered steel that was already more or less the right shape. All that needed to be done was to put an edge on the flat end, and to grind down the phillips end as a strike point (so that it wouldn't ding the hammer face too much).  Anyways, this was fairly easy although a bit slow since we made very frequent pauses to dip the bit in water --  we wanted to keep it from getting too hot on the grinder and ruining the temper.

Below, you can see the results of our first test using a piece of aluminum as the strike plate.  (You want something softer than the chisel as the backstop...)  It works surprisingly well, too.



Not pictured - I made two more hinges, bringing my total up to 4.  This is to support the assembly of a complete shoulder section in the near future.



JB also had a small anvil which hadn't seen the light of day for a few years.  He dug it out for me and suggested that I put it to use -- he didn't have to ask me twice!

At left, I am radiusing one edge of the anvil very slightly.  This is to provide a smooth surface to bend metal over -- the unfinished edge would marr or possibly cut my work.

Next update:  Using that anvil!

No comments:

Post a Comment