Tuesday 11 October 2016

Good grief, it's been a while...

Well, I moved to Calgary back in 2012.

While I was there I did some work on a wisby-inspired gauntlet in working conditions which were, quite frankly, even worse than my previous apartment.

A few years later I moved back to Ottawa, and a year after that I bought a house.

After about 5 years since I last touched it, I am finally looking at my 'prototype' lorica segmentata again.  This time, the idea is to see if I can get it into a 'wearable' state in time for Halloween.  That means skipping a lot of cleanup steps for now, and focusing on getting things assembled first.

Looking back on some of the source material I used as my guide back in 2011, I am reminded of why I decided to docu-blog the whole process:  There is a lot of information and advice out there, but not nearly enough pictures nor "look at this silly mistake I made".  I am sure that rushing to complete my proto-segmentata will yield some of both, and I will endeavour to capture them again for whoever might be interested.

I can't say for sure that I will ever get around to making the "good copy" that I envisioned in the past, but who knows where another five years might take me.  :)

No promises, folks.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment