Sunday 16 October 2016

Bottom Girdle Bands - More Hammerwork!

As mentioned on Satuday, I decided that a seventh set of girdle bands was required.  Since I'm rather taller than the average roman, this wasn't too surprising.  Fortunately I still had some of the original material carefully packed away, so measuring and cutting two additional bands wasn't a big deal.

What promised to be slightly more arduous, however, was the task of finishing their bottom edge. I wanted to have something that would be gentle on my fabric (and flesh), so I determined that I should invest the time in adding a folded and flared edge similar to the 'better half' of my neck plates.  I was a bit worried about remembering how to do this until I recalled that I documented it all. For reference -  my previous posts here and here, and helpful resource linked from those posts (here).

First, I marked a line and started the bend.  We only want to do a little bit on each pass.



A bit more progress on the second pass...





Pass #3:



Here in the fourth pass or so we're finally starting to curl past 90 degrees.


Now we're starting to close the fold...




Add in the flare as we close some more...




And go for the kill with last few passes... almost there!



Done!


Suffice it to say that I also did the second (matching) girdle band.  I'm going to take a break from this image editing etc. and continue in the next post.  See you later, folks!




No comments:

Post a Comment