Tuesday 11 October 2016

Dashing towards Halloween

As previously mentioned, the current goal is complete the prototype segmentata (horrible warts and all) in time to wear it for halloween.  While I won't concern myself with the mishmash of styles (hinges, shoulder lames, fasteners) present in this prototype, I have enough pride to continue attempting to use historically accurate (or at least plausible) methods and materials.


To meet my schedule, the primary task for the moment  is replacing the temporary bolts with rivets, and leathering up the torso bands.

This means making a lot of my own copper rivets from 10-gauge wire, which is a slightly obnoxious process but worth it for the end results.


On the bright side, it looks like I did not forget how to make a reasonably pretty (and round) peened head during the last five years.






Historically constructed, but 'Fantasy' shape.  Note the poor chisel cutting.  The black marks are from annealing the brass - I'll attempt to clean this up later once things are all assembled.

























Carlisle Hinge.  Very pretty, although a little bit smaller than historical examples.  If I ever make a 'good' version of my armour, I will definitely use this styling.










Leathering the torso bands will be the next big job.  I'm not certain I shared pictures of these back in 2011, but I actually finished quite a few of these, complete with decorative plates.


No comments:

Post a Comment