Tuesday 11 October 2016

Abandoned gauntlet

This has been sitting in a plastic bag untouched since sometime in 2012.  I don't remember exactly what sources I was working from for this piece so I will just call it "wisby inspired" even though it may have been based on more ambitious articulated gauntlets.

Similar to the segmentata prototype, this is made from cold-rolled sheet metal which is too thin to have any meaningful value as armour - perhaps 22 gauge.  As with the other prototype, the goal was to gain experience with the processes of metal shaping & articulation, and maybe end up with a passable costume piece.

I fiddled around with the bits for a while and it looks like another section of lames is required to cover the fingertips, so this isn't as complete as it appears at first.




The more I look at google image search for "wisby gauntlets" the more I think I was working from some other pattern.  Perhaps I'll rediscover it some day if I ever look to finish these.

You can see I spent a lot of time trying to shape the knuckle plate and first lame.  The hammer marks on the belled knuckles are pleasing to look at, but I wonder if everything is on too large a scale to really fit well once riveted onto a gauntlet.





















Here you can see the rolled edge on the back of the knuckle plate, intended to prevent it from cutting the leather when the hand is opened.  A lame to cover the thumb joint (where it attaches to the hand) is also missing.


No comments:

Post a Comment