Thursday 11 August 2011

New Leathering Method in Practice

I decided to put my theory into practice, to see if it could repair my faulty shoulder section.  The short answer is...  YES!  The only thing I changed was the holes in the straps! 





Below: Series of pictures demonstrating how the leathers flex when you raise your arm.  Note how the front & rear leathers stay flat and relaxed - only the central leather has to move.  You could optimize this by using a thicker leather on the front & rear and a thinner one centrally.




Some pictures of the releathering process...


Attach central leather to set the minimum overlap.



Below:  After attaching the central leather, I am tilting the lame to the desired angle so I can mark the new hole locations on the straps.  Note how this results in more overlap at the front & back than it does in the center.

(You don't strictly need to clamp things in place, but it definitely helped me to take pictures of the process. )



Again, attach central leather first to select overlap.


Angle the plates, mark the holes, etc.


My mirror is dirty... need some windex.








Maybe a little bit too much clamping....


Here are the leathers from inside that shoulder section...

Purple dots - original rivet placements (BEFORE picture)
Green dots - revised rivet placements (AFTER picture)



Below: The same image, except I have clearly labelled which sets of holes go together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment