Friday 12 August 2011

Carlisle Hinges

Back to the dremel - time to rough out the shape of my next set of hinges. I plan to use Carlisle-style hinges on my final version, so that's what I made today. At 5cm, these are wider than all of the other hinges I've made so far; but they are actually still too small. The real ones were around 6-7.5cm wide!


This time I wrapped the plates in painter's tape - it's like masking tape, but less sticky.  That makes it easy to peel off without leaving a residue.  I sketched out the rough cuts in pencil for the bulk removal - after the big chunks were gone I would need to do some finer shaping.




I am getting much better with the dremel, but I still need to learn more. I did all of this shaping using only a cut-off disc. Need to smooth things out a bit more with needle files, but otherwise not too bad!




On second thought, I should try some of the smaller dremel grinding stones first, and then use the needle files for those little nooks and crannies... hrm.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, dude. This is seriously impressive - and the skills you're gaining in metal work make me envious. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete